After leaving the wishbones with a coat of Metal-Ready the weekend before last, they would finally be in a state to begin painting them this weekend.

The first job was to screw a large garage hook into a rafter of the garage near the door (to take advantage of the natural light and ventilation). This would support the weight of the wishbone whilst being painted – as well as allowing me to move fully around it.

Then 8 plastic-coated cup hooks were screwed into the rafters along the opposite wall to facilitate drying of the paint between coats.  Each coat of POR-15 takes upwards of 5 hours to dry – so it would be a case of a coat per day, for the next three working days.

Finally I placed the can of POR-15 I was painting from next to me on the workmate and secured it firmly using the soft plastic clamps.  I’m terribly clumsy around paint for some reason – and POR-15 is far too expensive to risk knocking everywhere.

Suffice to say the painting was an unremarkable affair. The only point of note for anyone considering doing this yourself is to ensure excess paint doesn’t ingress into the holes for either the bushes or ball joints. This isn’t too great a problem as these areas need to be thoroughly cleaned, buffed and polished before insertion of the new components anyway.

Once the 8 wishbones had been painted, I moved on to the next planned task – removing the old battery and heater matrix / fan blower assembly.

To do this one first needs to remove the radiator rain cowl which is relatively trouble-free due to it being attached using plastic screws.  Next it is simply a case of pulling away the large flexible duct from the blower to the dashboard vents inlet.  Then one has to disconnect the feeds to / from the engine – a case of undoing 4 jubilee clips, so again not too taxing.

Once the washer reservoir is popped off the battery clamp, it can be removed by undoing the three bolts which secure it to the front bulkhead.  As has been the way throughout this project, 2 of the 3 bolts came away simply, with the last one having to be cut off.

Now the battery was gone, access to the 4 bolts holding in the matrix / blower in place was much improved – However a combination of rust, a tight fit and wiring clips meant that the cutter once again had to be used to slice through the heavily rusted braces that hold the matrix and blower together. Once these two components were decoupled they lifted easily from the car.